Responsible Care Management System®
The American Chemistry Council has created a Technical Specification that addresses the health, safety, security and the environment and is available for Registration by ACC members/affiliates only.
Note 1: There are two Responsible Care Management System Technical Specification, the RCMS on this page and RC14001 which is accessible on the RC14001 web page.
Note 2: RC14001 registration is open to all companies but the RCMS document is limited to ACC and ACC Affiliate members.
Note 3: This standard has been revised in May of 2013. External Auditors will begin auditing to this standard in September of 2013 and all audits will be to the revised standards as of January 1, 2014.
Major changes to RCMS and primarily deal with having the organization address:
- Energy efficiency consideration for aspects,
- Waste minimization, reuse, and recycling for aspects,
- Addition of Product Safety as a consideration*,
- Requires the organization to evaluate compliance “with their Responsible Care-related requirements to which it subscribes”*,
- Being more prescriptive on evaluating system effectiveness by specifying that “Internal Audits” will be conducted, and
- Allowing more flexibility in the Corrective/Preventive Action process.
* ACC members are required to address the Product Safety, Process Safety, and Security codes, as “other requirements to which the organization subscribes”. External auditors will be required to verify these requirements are being met per the ACC time-line.
If you are interested in complying with both the ACC's Responsible Care® requirements and the requirements of ISO 14001, please see our RC14001 web page.
The application of the RCMS® standard is to provide organizations with the elements of an effective Environmental Health, Safety and Security Management System that can be integrated with or into other management systems requirements, to assist organizations achieve their environmental, health, safety and economic goals and objectives. The overall aim is to support Health, safety, security and environmental protection and prevention of pollution in balance with socioeconomic needs. The success of an RCMS® depends on a commitment from all levels and functions within an organization and especially from senior or top management.
RCMS® enables an organization to establish and assess the effectiveness of procedures to set a policy including objectives, achieve conformance with them, and to demonstrate conformance to others, including interested external parties.
RCMS® shares common management system principles with ISO 9000, RC14001 and OHSAS 18001 system standards. While the 9000 series of standards deal with customer needs, an RCMS® addresses the needs of a broad range of interested parties and evolving needs of society for security, protection of the environment, health and safety.
RCMS Internal Auditor Training
Initial System Evaluation ("Gap Analysis")
Implementation Assistance and Guidance
Final System Evaluation ("Dress Rehearsal")
Contract Internal Auditing Program
Also see our Risk-Based Performance page